Manchester City eyeing £60M Fernando Torres

July 26th, 2010

Manchester City is eyeing a £60m Fernando Torres bid

MANCHESTER City boss Roberto Mancini has set the alarm bells ringing at Anfield by revealing Fernando Torres is his choice as the best-equipped striker to spearhead his club’s title charge.

Mancini has been linked with a number of top-class strikers over the summer and looks set to complete the £30million signing of Mario Balotelli from Inter Milan this week.And he will also test the water at Aston Villa with a £24m take-it-or-leave-it bid for James Milner.

Nevertheless, Torres is still the name at the top of his shopping list and he could be prepared to make a £60m offer.

New Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson has been reported as saying that Spain international Torres has a “beef” with the club and that there is nothing more he can say to try to persuade him to stay.

It therefore paves the way for City to make an offer this week, which is expected to be about £60m.

“There are two or three strikers that we could go for,” said Mancini. “Torres is one of the best strikers in Europe and is already playing in the Premier League for three years and knows it very well. But it depends on his situation – his price and whether he wants to come. Liverpool haven’t bought many players.”

Instead, they could be about to lose another one. The money paid for Balotelli is likely to spark a raid by former Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez on his old club for Javier Mascherano.

The stumbling block so far has been the temperamental 19-year-old striker Balotelli’s wage demands, but his agent Mino Raiola said: “There is no news at the moment – I think there will be by Monday or Tuesday.” However, with all the arrivals at Manchester City there have to be departures. New rules mean Mancini can use only 25 players this season, plus anybody who was still under 21 on January 1 this year.

At least the added wrinkle of needing to include eight “home-grown” players is not a problem as City have more than enough who qualify.

The upshot is, though, that big-name players will have to be sacrificed as Mancini is determined not to have the distraction of stars still hanging around the club who have no prospect of playing until January when the squad lists can next be amended. He said: “It is important that we get to the start of the season with only 25 players because that is the number of names we can put on the list.

“It is better for me and the other players who are not on the list that they go to another team. I have now, with all the new signings, 30 players. I think that it is better for the extra players that they go rather than staying and not playing. That would be a big problem, for both the players and for the club.”

Source: Daily Express

  • Google Bookmarks
  • Facebook
  • del.icio.us
  • Twitter
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • email
  • Tumblr

Trackback URI | Comments RSS

Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind


    GoalJamaica Top Videos!
    Random World Cup 2010 Pics
    slideshow_04 slide_8340_111348_huge slide_8340_111337_huge slide_8340_111333_huge slide_8340_111315_huge slide_8340_111307_huge slide_8340_111304_huge slide_8340_111303_huge
    Follow goaljamaica on Twitter