August 26th, 2010
French revolution: Sebastien Squillaci has become Arsenal's third summer signing
Arsenal have completed the signing of French defender Sebastien Squillaci from Sevilla.
Gunners manager Arsene Wenger confirmed this lunchtime that the deal for the 30-year-old centre-back had been sealed after the Spanish club accepted an offer last week.
Squillaci will not play in Saturday’s Barclays Premier League game at Blackburn but will be eligible for the Champions League campaign.
The former Lyon centre-half, who joined Sevilla from Les Gones two years ago, asked to be left out of the side for the Champions League play-off against Braga last week so he would not be cup-tied for European competition.
Squillaci will strengthen an Arsenal rearguard weakened by the departures of William Gallas, Mikael Silvestre, Sol Campbell and Philippe Senderos.
Wenger confirmed: ‘We needed a centre-back of quality and experience if possible, and at the right price – he was all of that.
‘He is a real defender and is good in the one against one, good in the air, and can score goals on set-pieces as well. I believe he will be suited to the English game.
Up for the cup: Squillaci ruled himself of Sevilla's Champions League qualifier to avoid being cup-tied
‘He will train with us tomorrow morning, but will not be involved on Saturday.’
Wenger continued: ‘I made a bid on the day Sevilla played in the Champions League, so he did not play as he was waiting for the transfer.’
Arsenal have also been linked with Australian goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, with Fulham turning down two bids for the 37-year-old.
Wenger refused to rule out bringing in any more players ahead of the deadline, but insisted no deals were imminent.
‘We are where we are – we have four great ‘keepers and it is important we give confidence to them for the next game,’ Wenger said. ‘I do not rule it out, but at the moment I say I am not in a position to sign anybody. At the moment, it is all dead.’
Wenger, though, indicated players could still move overseas, with full-back Armand Traore looking set to leave for Benfica.
‘I believe the transfer window should have been over already for a long time, because it should stop when the championship starts for domestic transfers, internationally it should go on until August 31 because not everybody starts at the same time,’ he said.
Filed under Premier League | Comment (0)