Waterhouse, Tivoli draw in there Digicel Premier League football match at Edward Seaga Sports Complex yesterday.

December 16th, 2010

Waterhouse's goalscorer Jonathan Williams shields the ball from Tivoli Gardens defender Victor Thompson during their top-of-the-table Digicel Premier League football match at Edward Seaga Sports Complex yesterday. The game ended 1-1. - Ian Allen/Photographer

Tivoli Gardens and Waterhouse played out a hard-fought and exciting 1-1 draw at the Edward Seaga Sports Complex last night in Digicel Premier League action in a game of passion, grit and high drama.

Both teams started the contest at break-neck pace and it was not long before both goalkeepers were tested, with Tivoli’s Christopher Jackson placing his 20-yard free-kick only millimetres from the right post and Waterhouses’ Kenardo Forbes placing his shot just over the bar a few minutes later.

Tivoli’s playmaker Keammar Daley came to life in the 15th minute, weaving his way between three players before carving a delightful through pass to Devon Hodges, who somehow placed his shot wide.

On the 21st minute, Waterhouse defender Rohan Amos clumsily fouled Navion Boyd on the edge of the penalty box. Jackson, this time, left the kick to Daley and with two steps and the swing of his right foot, the silky midfielder dispatched his free kick into the top right-hand corner of the goal to score and send the home supporters in raptures.

However, things began to get sour for the orange-clad Tivoli Gardens team shortly afterwards, first with Daley’s forced substitution a few moments after his goal due to a hamstring concern; and then with a 53rd-minute red card to Rupert Murray, who was picking up his second yellow of the night.

Waterhouse took immediate advantage of the numerical advantage and finally managed to claw their way back into the game on the 69th-minute mark when Jonathan Williams rose high to nod in a deep cross from Jermaine Fletcher, who had turned Jackson inside out before launching his pinpoint cross.

Dying minutes

Waterhouse’ Rohan Amos was also ejected in the dying minutes, also for a second bookable offence, as both teams ended the game a man short.

“The red card that we got changed the game,” said Tivoli’s head coach, Glendon ‘Admiral’ Bailey. “Both sides were playing some good quality football.

“The main objective was to stay on top of the league after this game and we achieved that, so from that aspect I am pleased,” added Bailey, whose team moved to 37 points, two ahead of second-place Waterhouse.

Waterhouse’s assistant coach, Xavier Gilbert, was also happy with the result.

“It was probably a fair result. We came here definitely wanting something out of this game, we wanted the maximum but we will settle for the one point. The team played well, we were a little lacklustre in the first half, but we dominated in the second and did really well,” said Gilbert.


  • Google Bookmarks
  • Facebook
  • del.icio.us
  • Twitter
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • email
  • Tumblr

Trackback URI | Comments RSS

Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Email (required)


Speak your mind

    GoalJamaica Top Videos!
    Random World Cup 2010 Pics
    slideshow_04 slide_8340_111348_huge slide_8340_111337_huge slide_8340_111333_huge slide_8340_111315_huge slide_8340_111307_huge slide_8340_111304_huge slide_8340_111303_huge
    Follow goaljamaica on Twitter