TG, KC notch wins in their ISSA/Digicel/Pepsi Manning Cup football competition

September 24th, 2010

Kimeko Edwards of Dunoon Technical (left) shields the ball against David Biggs of Tivoli Gardens High during their ISSA/Digicel/Pepsi Manning Cup football match at the Edward Seaga Sport Complex yesterday. Tivoli won, 3-0. (Photo: Joseph Wellington)

MARK Hurd slammed in three goals, two in the second half, to set up the first win for Tivoli Gardens High School — a 3-0 result against Dunoon Technical in their ISSA/Digicel/Pepsi Manning Cup football competition at the Edward Seaga Sport Complex yesterday.

In another game yesterday, former champions Kingston College (KC) outscored St Catherine High 4-1 at St John’s Road, with Divonte Dennis getting a brace in the 56th and 71st minutes.

Other scorers for the Purples were Arsenio Walker (57th) and Jorgenho James (58th), while Dwight Wisdom netted for the hosts in the 69th minute.

At the Seaga Complex, Hurd plundered his goals in the 44th, 68th and 80th minutes. This, however, was after the wily striker had earlier missed a number of other very good chances, which included one midway the first half when he, after dismissing goalkeeper Nycoli Burke and left him for dead, directed his shot wide of the upright.

While it was the first win of the season for Tivoli following two drawn games against Jose Marti, 2-2, and high-flying Bridgeport, 1-1, after leading 1-0, Dunoon were losing for the third time after 0-1 and 0-3 results against Vauxhaul and Bridgeport, respectively.

“The win was good encouragement for us,” longstanding coach Dave Clark said.

“The whole objective is to get some three points out of our matches and this is one of them. Our next game on Saturday we’re going for another three points, so that by the time we meet the Jose Martis and the Bridgeports again we should be in a better position,” he added.

Having narrowly lost their first home match to Bridgeport after leading 1-0, Tivoli rushed at Dunoon from the first whistle and had them pinned down in their half for the most part of the first period.

However, overzealousness was also a feature their play and it was not until approaching the final minute of half-time that Tivoli eventually broke the deadlock.

David Biggs, hardworking as he was, was also culpable of not shooting straight in sight of goal, but as the half closed in, he found the industrious Hurd unmarked.

With the cool head of a good marksman, the latter looked up, picked his spot and placed the shot where he wanted, outside the reach of Burke.

In sight of their first success for the season and with Dunoon not offering much opposition, Tivoli returned for the second session even more pumped-up and again laid siege inside the visitors half, which forced Burke to be constantly coming to the rescue of his team which hair-raising saves.

But as the saying goes, “pressure bursts pipe”, and with the visitors wayward and ragged in their play, they fell further behind.

Hurd was left unmarked at the far post and Biggs again picked him out with a another well-timed cross, which he coolly rose and headed in for his second of the match.

Hurd put the icing on the cake by dancing to and fro on the edge of the 18-yard box before beating Burke for the third time with a powerfully-struck right-footer.

Source:Jamaica Observer

  • Google Bookmarks
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • email
  • Tumblr

Trackback URI | Comments RSS

Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Email (required)


Speak your mind

    GoalJamaica Top Videos!
    Random World Cup 2010 Pics
    slideshow_04 slide_8340_111348_huge slide_8340_111337_huge slide_8340_111333_huge slide_8340_111315_huge slide_8340_111307_huge slide_8340_111304_huge slide_8340_111303_huge
    Follow goaljamaica on Twitter