It’s a Jamaica College, Waterford final

November 23rd, 2010

Waterford High and Jamaica College (JC) will contest the final of the 2010 ISSA/Pepsi/Digicel Manning Cup after recording contrasting 1-0 and penalty-kick wins over Norman Manley High and Bridgeport High respectively in semi-final action at Ferdie Neita Park, Portmore, yesterday.

Waterford, who are advancing to the final for the first time, overcame a spirited challenge from Norman Manley and advanced courtesy of an 87th-minute strike from Andre McFarlane.

JC, who ended their game with only nine men, triumphed after outscoring Bridgeport 4-1 on penalties after both teams were locked at 0-0 at the end of regulation and extra times. For JC, it will be their third final in the past four years.

“There is not enough one can say about the never-say-die attitude of this team. They fought gallantly today,” said JC coach, Alfred Henry, who was hoisted in delight by his team’s fans following their epic win.

“I have never seen a group of youngsters that I am so proud of,” he added.

Extra time

Down to nine men with 15 minutes remaining after central midfielder Odane Greensword and substitute Jason Moultan were sent off for violent conduct, JC rallied brilliantly to send the game into extra time, and then penalties.

After converting their first penalty through captain and forward, Ashani Walker, JC then went on to convert their respective spot kicks through Conroy Johnson, Theo Campbell, and Nicholas Scott.

Bridgeport, on the other hand, saw their first penalty-taker, Tyshawn Rainford, booting his shot wide and their second, Jermaine Morgan, having his shot saved by goalkeeper Gary Whynter. Their captain and standout player, Jamiel Hardware, converted his attempt, but it was a case of too little, too late for Bridgeport.

It was the sixth straight time that JC were beating Bridgeport in a competitive fixture, and coach Anthony Patrick put it down to indiscipline.

“When JC got the red cards, instead of stepping up, our discipline broke down,” Patrick said.

Meanwhile, the first semi-final was largely an open affair with end-to-end play until moments before the final whistle when the silky McFarlane produced a brilliant solo effort to send his team’s supporters into a frenzy.

“We played an excellent game today, with a lot of fight and under the inspiration of our fallen player, Okeefe Lewis. We want to now go to the final and take it home for him and the entire Waterford community,” Waterford’s coach Floyd Coke said.


  • Google Bookmarks
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • email
  • Tumblr

Trackback URI | Comments RSS

Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Email (required)


Speak your mind

    GoalJamaica Top Videos!
    Random World Cup 2010 Pics
    slideshow_04 slide_8340_111348_huge slide_8340_111337_huge slide_8340_111333_huge slide_8340_111315_huge slide_8340_111307_huge slide_8340_111304_huge slide_8340_111303_huge
    Follow goaljamaica on Twitter